Sunday, September 16, 2007

The Way I See It #273

All children need a laptop. Not a computer, but a human laptop.
Moms, dads, grannies and grandpas, aunts, uncles - someone to hold them, read to them, teach them. Loved ones who will embrace them and pass on the experience, rituals, and knowledge of a hundred previous generations.

Loved ones who will pass to the next generation their expectations of them, their hopes, and their dreams.

~ General Colin L. Powell

Typically, I read the first couple of words on the back of my Starbuck's cup and skip the rest. This one caught my attention with the first line "all children need a laptop." My first thought was you have got to be kidding me and then I read the rest. It had me thinking on my drive home (for some reason I've been quite reflective lately) that General Powell was right. It's not about the gadgets, the toys or all the other hundreds of material things we can provide for our children. It really boils down to the time, love, and attention that we give them. They are little sponges absorbing all that they see and hear long before we realize they are capable of doing it.

My hope is that when I finally am able to bring my daughter home that I remember this. That despite all the material things we can provide for her that we always remember that more importantly she will need our "laptops" and all that comes along with it.

2 comments:

Middle-Aged Moi said...

SO TRUE! There is nothing more precious than having your child sit on your lap, looking into their eyes, and talking with them, tickling them, reading to them. They all need that physical love. My NINE year old was sitting on my lap today! She almost squished me, but it was nice! :-)

Mom2Mason said...

I love that! That is so sweet and SO true.
Nicole in FL