Tuesday, September 04, 2007

It's been 1 year...


It’s been one year since our paperwork was officially logged into china. It is with mixed emotions that this day has finally arrived. Like many of you this process started with fertility treatments long before we began the adoption process. When we began this journey we thought the wait would be approximately 12-14 months and that we would have received our referral by the end of this 2007, or at the very outside early 2008. As you now know that will not be the case. We are about 281 LID days or 12-24 months away from receiving a referral as of today. The seemingly ever-lengthening wait has dampened the joy in just how far we have come.

This journey has been both the most difficult thing I've ever done and also the most exciting. It has been a road that has opened my eyes to so many things. As most of you have already heard me say, the adoption process makes you take a long hard look not only at yourself but at your family, friends, and surroundings. This process has more clearly than ever before made me realize I lack patience. I am an “AB” type personality and either side kicks on depending on the situation. Once I’ve made a decision to do something my “A” side kicks in – HARD! Since so much of this process is out of my control I have had a difficult time dealing with it. There are days it makes me crazy! I just want to hop on a plane, fly to China, and help the CCAA move things along. I do realize that this is not rational, that regardless of my need for control and organization this is not something that I can do. It is humbling to know that at this point there is absolutely NOTHING I can do to move this process along any faster despite my drive and organizational skills, lol.

There are positive sides of the wait. Did I actually say that?!?!? Truly, whether I like to admit it or not, there are positives. I’ve discovered that we are indeed very lucky to have the unconditional support of family and friends. They are in this with us and it goes without saying that their support is worth more than words can say. I’ve made new friends and gained an additional support system through my adoption groups. I can’t believe it already September, this year has flown by! We’ve done so much this year – sold a house, bought a house, fixed up both houses, received promotions at work, gone on vacation, and for the first time been able to have company come stay at our house. The wait will also help us to financially build back up a savings depleted by fertility treatments, adoption and moving expenses. The most important of all is that we know more than ever before that we are indeed willing to do whatever is necessary to bring our child home.

Balancing on this double edged sword called adoption is tough at times but we will get through it. Thanks to all of you who have been supportive, listened to me rant when I needed to, and for all the encouragement despite the wait.

Sweet Pea, we are one year closer to bringing you home!



6 comments:

Unknown said...

So well said. Congrats on your one year down, and thanks for sharing your heart. This is quite a journey.

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I agree with Rebecca- well said. Hang in there, Kelly.

Angie said...

Happy 1 year!! What a wonderful post...thank you for sharing what is on your heart and mind.
You're right...you are one year closer!! Praying that you don't have many more months to go.

b.b. said...

Hi Kelly,

This is your Valrico friend and girl I can so relate! You wrote, very eloquently I might add, what has been on my heart. I look at rerrals now as that is one LID out of our way:-) Hope to see you at Waiting Families this month.

Lisa said...

Your post says it all. You are indeed a year closer to your daughter.

Mom2Mason said...

Thanks for your heart felt post. Drew says my one year post was "dark", but that was how I was feeling that day (and 9/11 makes it harder).
Thanks for getting me back to my usually positive self - yes, we are one year closer and I couldn't be happier.
Nicole in FL