Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A Classic Case of Doubt..

"He who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord."
JAMES 1:6-7


The person who asks anything of God without faith is not going to receive what he requests.

I know countless people who make their petitions to God by saying, "God, I know You are all-powerful and all-wise and You can meet all my needs, but . . ." That but clause is usually a statement of doubt, not faith. It is a "but in this case" instance of doubt. Many people believe God can, but they have doubts that God will. They recite to God all of their inadequacies, unworthiness, shame, and inability. God says if you come to Him with that attitude, don't waste your time praying. (God's Way, by Charles F. Stanley)


I received this daily reading one day last week and I’ve been thinking about it ever since. We all know that “the wait” has been wearing many of us down in different ways. Yes, I have had doubts. No, I have not lost faith. It is hard to reconcile the heart and the head sometimes, especially when we wait and wait for the things we ask God for. In my heart I absolutely know that God will bring our daughter home even if it is in His time and not mine. It’s my head that has the issue with the “in His time” part. Yes, I’ve wondered if my daughter is ever going to come home. I am after all just a human being. It is our nature to worry and wonder. Despite the occasional lapses into doubt, I truly believe that God will fulfill our desire to bring a child into our hearts and home. I believe that He has not allowed my dream to die because it is part of His plan. So in answer to my pondering I realize that God not only can but will bring my daughter home. In the meantime I need to keep the faith and prepare for her as best I can.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Keep the faith my friend. I know it is hard.

Karmen and Greg said...

Well put, Kelly! I needed to read that today!

Karmen

Angie said...

Waiting and sometimes doubting with you, friend! Like Rebecca said...keep the faith.