Thursday, February 11, 2010

Get Out So I Can Work...

“And when Jesus came to the ruler’s house and saw the flute players and the crowd making a commotion, he said, ‘Go away, for the girl is not dead but sleeping.’ And they laughed at him. But when the crowd had been put outside, he went in and took her by the hand, and the girl arose” (Matthew 9:23-25).

Get out of here so I can work! Oh, how we hate distractions and noise, both things that pull our concentration away from the task at hand. In our passage today, the ruler had sought out Jesus and told him his daughter had died, but he believed Jesus could bring her back to life. “Jesus, come into my house and do the impossible,” he asked. But the crowds would not believe. It wasn’t until they were turned out that Jesus chose to perform this miracle. Why? We can only speculate, but I see an analogy here.

There are times I call on Jesus. I want him to come fix my life, or my thoughts, or revive a new spirit within me. I open my heart and ask Him to come in and heal me. Perhaps my spiritual house is full of other distractions – hurt, anger, frustration, pain. The nagging is still in the back of my mind – things can’t change, this is the way it is, why hope? Maybe it is coming from well meaning friends, or the TV, or my own desperation. Maybe these negative thoughts come from a more evil force that trembles at the name of Jesus?

All I know is before I can see Jesus in my life reviving me, I need to clear that ruckus away. I must give Him control over the situation so I can concentrate on His healing power alone. He stands patiently, knocking on the door of my heart. I am here. Waiting. The beauty of it is I can also see Him helping to clear all the garbage away. His Truth is the broom to sweep away all that doesn’t honor Him.

Can’t you just see Jesus at the ruler’s house calming him, saying it is okay, showing the hecklers the door? Even when we have barely enough strength to call on Him, He will come and do what is necessary to prepare us for His change in our lives. If you need a miracle, if you need revival, ask Jesus to help you clear away the obstacles that are preventing you from receiving it. It may take time, but His timing is perfect.

~Author Julie Cosgrove

This is from an online women's devotional. What perfect timing, I need to clear out the ruckus as I wait and wait...

No comments: