Friday, March 06, 2009

Wisdom on a Cup...

The Way I See it #299

There s a subtle difference between a mission and a promise. A mission is something you strive to accomplish – a promise is something you are compelled to keep. One is individual, the other is shared. When a mission and a promise are one and the same… that’s when mountains are moved and races are won.

~ Hala Moddelmog
President and CEO, Susan G. Komen for the Cure


Obviously, I hit Starbuck’s on the way to work this morning ;o) As usual I read the back of my cup looking to see what wisdom was being offered up to start my day. Today’s cup got me thinking a little about promises, missions, and goals. We all know what these things are. We have all made promises, been on a mission, and set goals. This is nothing new it’s a part of life.

What I began to ponder on my drive in to work is how these things are a part of my life. When I make promises I do everything in my power not to break them. A promise is sacred; it is something that I don’t make lightly. Keeping promises allows those around us to know that their trust in me is not misplaced. I’ve set goals too. Some I was able to meet and others that for various reasons, both in and not in my control, just didn’t work out. No earth shattering news there either. Where I got stumped is on the mission part. Aren’t goals and missions synonymous? I’ve always kind of used the word interchangeably. Anyway, why I was thinking about it to begin with was I was contemplating what my life mission or goal is. I’m not sure I have a specific life long goal in mind other than being the best person I can be. Meaning to keep the faith and be the best family member/friend I know how. Essentially to live by the golden rule, you know the one “do unto others as you would have done unto you.” Do you have a life long goal/mission?

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I love those when I get coffee!
Just checking in with you to see how you're doing.

Natalie